Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Seven Months of "7"


        
Photo from Jen Hatmaker's Bible Study Guide,
"The 7 Experiment"

          I’ve had a couple of friends ask me what the other things are that I’ll be fasting from for the other six months. I haven’t decided yet what order I’ll be doing them in, but here’s the list of the seven areas of excess I’m setting out to simplify:

Food
Clothes
Possessions
Media
Waste
Spending
Stress

There's also been a bit of confusion about the books:

          There are two books, "7" by Jen Hatmaker, and "The 7 Experiment" by Jen Hatmaker. "7" is just the book, and I read it first. You CAN read it without actually doing the fast, and I highly suggest that you do so, even if you're skeptical. It does not "guilt you" into anything. It does, however, open your eyes to many things that we've become blind to as Americans and especially as American Christians. 
          "The 7 Experiment" is the actual Bible Study that leads you through a 7 WEEK journey of decreasing excess. I am using the book to keep my head in the game as to WHY I'm doing this fast (because it'd be all to easy for me just to do it and not really think about the deeper reasons as to why I'm doing it), but I'm actually doing the full 7 months instead of the 7 week program it leads you through. 
          Either way, LifeWay has both and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to sell you a copy. $15 well spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment